Crash Reports

When Must a Crash Report Be Filed?

M.G.L. Chapter 90, Section 26 requires a person who was operating a motor vehicle involved in a crash in which (i) any person was killed or (ii) injured or (iii) in which there was damage in excess of $1,000 to any one vehicle or other property, to complete and file a Crash Operator Report with the Registrar 5 days after such crash (unless the person is physically incapable of doing so due to incapacity). The person completing the report must also send a copy of the report to the police department having jurisdiction on the way where the crash occurred. If the operator is incapacitated but is not the vehicle's owner, the owner is required to file the crash report within 5 days based on his/her knowledge and information obtained about the crash. The Registrar may require the owner or operator to supplement the report and he/she can revoke or suspend the license of any person violating any provision of this legal requirement. A police department is required to accept a report filed by an owner or operator whose vehicle has been damaged in a crash in which another person unlawfully left the scene even if damage to the vehicle does not exceed $1,000.

Obtain a Police Crash Report

Online - You can obtain a copy of a police officer's accident report online from CarFax. Police reports are available for all police investigated motor vehicle accidents that occurred in the Town of Hingham after October 1, 2015.

In Person - You can also go to the Hingham Police Department, Records Division, located on the 2nd floor.  Police Reports are only available in person during posted hours, Monday - Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m., and Friday 8 a.m. - 1 p.m.

There is a fee to obtain a report in person and online.
To file an crash report download an operator's report (PDF) from the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, or visit our forms page.