- Press & Media
- Social Media Policy
Social Media Policy
The Hingham Police Department maintains a social media program for the purpose of engaging and interacting with our community, providing relevant and timely community news, information and events, distribution of crime prevention and public safety tips, for urgent notifications of critical incidents which may affect residents, business owners and visitors of the city of Hingham Police Department, and for those people having an interest in the Hingham Police Department.
For purposes of this policy, a social media platform is the website or app offered to the public to provide audio, video, still-photo or written communication between other members of the public and/or representatives of certain groups, businesses, organizations or departments. Examples of social media platforms include Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, LinkedIn, website blogs with commenting capabilities, forums and emergency notification services.
The definition of content as used in this policy refers to any written copy, photos, graphics, videos, live-video streams, comments or any form of communicative content exchanged between parties.
Emergency or Non-Emergency Requests for Police AssistanceThe posting of requests for police assistance, regardless if it is of an emergency or non-emergency nature, is discouraged and will not guarantee a response by the Hingham Police Department or any emergency service provider. In case of an emergency, or if police assistance is needed, please dial 911. If you wish to report a crime or information relevant to a crime, please call 781-749-1212. You may remain anonymous if you wish.
In the event you post information related to a crime, you may be placing yourself in a position of becoming a witness and subject to being subpoenaed into court.
Endorsements"Friending" or "Liking" the Hingham Police Department, or an officer or employee of the Hingham Police Department, does not indicate an endorsement of that person's actions or comments.
A comment posted by a member of the public on any Hingham Police Department social media site is the opinion of the commentator or poster only, and publication of a comment does not imply endorsement of, or agreement by, the Hingham Police Department, nor do such comments necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of the Hingham Police Department.
Moderation of ContentThe Hingham Police Department 's social media platforms are intended to be "family friendly," When applicable, the department uses platform provided content moderation/filtering options to limit foul or obscene content. The Hingham Police Department does actively monitor the social media platforms used by the department, and will remove inappropriate content as defined below, without prior notice, and as soon as possible. The department shall reserve the right to remove and/or block anyone who posts inappropriate material as determined by the department. This material may include, but is not limited to:
- Comments not related to the original topic, including random or unintelligible comments
- Profane, obscene, or pornographic content and/or language
- Content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, or national origin
- Defamatory or personal attacks
- Threats to any person or organization
- Comments in support of, or in opposition to, any political campaigns or ballot measures
- Solicitation of commerce, including but not limited to advertising of any business or product for sale
- Conduct in violation of any federal, state or local law
- Encouragement of illegal activity
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest, such as a copyright, of any party
- Harassment or content which constitutes and/or facilitates stalking
- Content which violates the right to privacy
- Encouragement of violence
- Repetitive content
- Comments which may reasonably interfere with, inhibit, or compromise law enforcement investigations, police tactics, police responses to incidents and/or the safety of police staff and officers.
- Posts or comments that contain any external links.